Tue May 3 2005- New page around 10am Mon-Fri
Early Voting ends Today (5/3)
City Elections This Saturday (5/7) SAElections.com
Prop 1 Aquifer Protection | Prop 2 Parks | Prop 3 Tax Cap
Sunday is Mother's Day (5/8)
Poll methodology questioned
Right after the noon news today Bonnie Conner (former councilman) will be on my program to offer counterpoints to Roddy's anti-parks, anti-aquifer protection column.
1. The Edwards Aquifer is the primary source of drinking water for 1.7 million South-central Texans today, and will be for a million more citizens within 25 years.
2. If we fail to protect the aquifer and pollute our drinking water, we’ll have to build water-treatment plants that will cost billions of dollars. Talk about squandermania!
3. Proposition 1 has a clear, science-based plan that will be fair and transparent:
4. The Scientific Evaluation Team will identify lands that have the most impact on protecting water quality – the key points of recharge into the aquifer. The issue is not how many acres we protect, but how much recharge we protect.
5. Abundant, high-quality water is essential for the business growth our community needs.
6. Proposition 1 continues a similar effort approved by voters in 2000 that protected nearly 6,500 acres of aquifer-recharge land from development. The $45 million raised by that measure for aquifer protection was spent exactly as voters intended by summer 2004.
7. New state law allows the city to acquire land both inside and outside of Bexar County, so we can now protect land to the west of the city, where 70 percent of the aquifer’s recharge takes place and where land is far more affordable.
8. Edwards Aquifer Authority studies show that when impervious cover exceeds 15 percent, water-quality problems emerge. Attaining that goal is more likely in rural lands to the west, where most of our water comes from.
9. Proposition 1 protects drinking water, natural beauty, habitat for wildlife and our Hill Country heritage. It is our God-given responsibility to protect these precious natural resources for our children and grandchildren.
10. Proposition 1 is supported by a wide variety of groups and individuals (see Aquifer Protection website home page HERE)
Texas Police Officers' Memorial
25% tax on alcohol considered by Texas
Commentary > Opinion
Time Warner employee data missing